The World Obstacle Course Racing League Rules & Guidelines
Table of Contents
Welcome to World Obstacle Course Racing League
- Trophy Hunters League
- Fun Runners League
- The Club League
- Race Challenge League
- League Data, Points & Stats
- League Outputs
- Unique WOCRL Points
- Course & Weather Rating
- Membership Requirement
- Membership Benefits
How The WOCRL Works
- Race Stats From Race Directors
- Entering Your Own Race Stats
- Timing Sources
- WOCRL Strava and Garmin Clubs
Clubs & Communities
Welcome to World Obstacle Course Racing League
Maailman ensimmäinen täysin osallistava puolueeton OCR-liiga
Kaikki ovat tervetulleita
Jokainen kilpailu on tervetullut
Multiple leagues capturing the Competitive, the Fun, & the Creativity that is unique to the Best Sport in the World
What we believe we have created is a competitive, fun & creative way to bring a little balanced competition to Obstacle Course Racing. We know that some days you could race for Fun (Fun Runners) & other days, you will be racing hard …. against yourself & everyone else (Trophy Hunters).
We have built something for everyone.
As racers ourselves, we know that every race is different: the weather, the terrain, the obstacle designs …. all can make a massive difference to the race …. that is why we love it! No two races are the same.
Our different Leagues are designed to help you measure, record & share your performances whether you are chasing trophies or running for fun.
We believe that OCR is one of the last true sports in terms of fair play & sportsmanship …. let’s make it our goal to keep it that way!
We have initially designed the following Leagues:
Trophy Hunters League
For all those who were looking to push themselves towards the podiums.
Fun Runners League
For all those that entered the race for fun, for a laugh, for some sport, for the mud, for a challenge.
The Club League
There are so many excellent OCR Communities and Clubs out there & a little inter-community competition has to be a good thing.
Race Challenge League
For all to see how the different races were rated by the participants in terms of the challenge presented by the obstacles, the terrain & the weather.
You will be able to breakdown your performances as the months go by, by one, some &/or all of the following:
- The Race Name
- The Number of Races
- Race Series (Grouping Race Series Events Together)
- Qualifiers (Grouping All Qualifying Events Together)
- Your OCR Community or Club
- Country of Origin (i.e. Are you the fastest French person?)
- Country of Race (i.e. Are you the fastest in the U.K races?)
- Age – Group
- Distance (Ninja, Short, Standard, Mid, Long, Ultra)
- The Year of Race
- The Month of Race
- Type of Runner (Fun Runner/Trophy Hunter/Community)
League Data, Points & Stats
There are multiple different Race Stats and Data Outputs for you to enjoy and manipulate.
What do they mean and how are they calculated?
- Pos – With or without filters, this indicates your position versus others.
- No of Races – Our filters mean that you can filter against others who have completed a similar number of events.
- No of Racers – The total number of racers recorded which includes Non-Subscribed WOCRL Members.
- No of WOCRL Racers – The total number of Subscribed WOCRL Members
- Gender Points – There are 1 – 30 points available for the top 30 male & female athletes. These points are based on your actual position in the event including non-subscribed WOCRL members.
- AG Points – There are 1 – 30 points available for the top 30 Athletes in each age-group. These points are based on your actual position in the event including non-subscribed WOCRL Members.
- TH Points – Gender position points + your age group position points.
- FR-pisteet – Total distance of the event plus the total number of mandatory obstacles faced minus the total number of obstacles not completed.
- Vauhti – Average pace per km/mile. Displayed as e.g. 06:31 per km (06 is mins/ 31 is secs).
Unique WOCRL Points
- Sankarien luokitus – Total number of mandatory obstacles faced versus the total number of obstacles completed.
- Note: Currently this is based on honesty! We are working on a timing solution to capture this electronically.
- WOCRL TH Points – Combined gender and age group position points. Based on subscribed WOCRL members only.
- WOCRL FR Points – Total distance of event plus the total number of obstacles faced minus the total number of obstacles not completed. Based on subscribed WOCRL members only.
- WOCRL Gender Points – There are 1 – 30 points available for the Top 30 male & female athletes. Your WOCRL gender points are based on subscribed WOCRL members only.
- WOCRL AG Points – There are 1 – 30 points available for the Top 30 athletes in each age-group. Your WOCRL age group points are based on subscribed WOCRL members only.
- WOCRL Pace – Your average pace divided by your hero rating.
Course & Weather Rating
Each participant has the opportunity to “rate” the course and define the challenge that the changing weather can bring to OCR.
All ratings and scores in our Leagues are based on the Combined Averages of all that have “rated”. To so your own ratings, please visit your own History (Subscribed Members Only)
- Kurssin luokitus – The combined scores from “Obstacle Challenge Level” plus “Obstacles Creativity Levels” plus “Terrain Challenge Levels” plus “Terrain Creativity Levels”.
- Obs Rating – The combined scores of the “Obstacle Challenge Level” plus “Obstacle Creativity Level”.
- Obs Challenge Rating – The Average Rating from all entries for the difficulty of the Obstacles.
- Obs Creativity Rating – The Average Rating from all entries for the creativity of the Obstacles.
- Maaston luokitus -The combined scores of the “Terrain Challenge Level” plus “Terrain Creativity Level”.
- Terrain Challenge Rating – The Average Rating from all entries for the difficulty of the terrain.
- Terrain Creativity Rating – The Average Rating from all entries for the creativity of the terrain.
- Weather – The Average choice from all entries for what the weather was.
- Sääarvo – The score for the weather rating given when “Entering Your Race Stats”.
OC Racers need a full range of skills, focus, dedication and attitude & we have tried to capture all of these to bring a fair & balanced League ….
…. for example, if you cross the line first but only complete 50% of the obstacles, does that mean you are a better racer than the second place runner who completed all of the obstacles? We have developed these Leagues to help to sort this out!
Entry is via the The World Obstacle Course Racing League (WOCRL) Website (www.wocrl.org)
- Your Name
- Gender – We have chosen initially Male/Female/Other Categories but are open to discussion
- Date of Birth – We will be working from age of the competitor on the 31st of December of the year of the competition
- Your Country of Origin – Where you originate from.
- Your OCR Community/Team Name – You can only be in one at a time.
Your Membership (subject to which option you have purchased) includes:
- One Calendar Year Full Membership to the World OCR League
- Entry into the World OCR League Championship
- Personal Accident Insurance (Subject to Membership purchased)
- Use of All League Filters
- Your Personal Trophy Hunters History – A list of every race you took part in as a Trophy Hunter.
- Your Personal Fun Runners History – A list of every race you took part in as a Fun Runner.
- Membership to fantastic OCR Buddy Event Calendar App
- 10% goes to the Okhane Foundation
- 10% goes to OCR Projects
- 10% goes to an OCR Charity
- Any discount offers the World OCR League receives, will be past to its members.
- Should you join using a Community/Club Discount Code, the Community/Club will receive a financial reward
How The WOCRL Works
The WOCRL feeds on your Race Results, Your Course, Obstacle and Weather Ratings.
There are two ways to Enter Your Race Stats.
Race Stats From Race Directors
We are working with more and more Race Directors and many send us the Race Results from their events. We add these to the WOCRL for you.
When we add Race Results in bulk, we will make assumptions should there be any data fields we require, that are not provided e.g the Terrain Rating, the Weather Rating. You will need to claim your data and then you will be able to adjust as necessary.
There are occasions when Race Directors will not be able to provide data that is protected e.g. your Birthday therefore we will not be able to calculate your Age Group.
Entering Your Own Race Stats
This you can do straight after the event & the system will update immediately!
Via the “Add Race Stats” page on the WOCRL website. You will need to provide the following:
- Race Organiser – i.e. Spartan Races/Nuclear Races
- Race Name – i.e. Sprint/Oblivion
- Fun Runner or Trophy Hunter – This is your own subjective take on how competitively you entered the event.
- Your Entry Type (Solo/Team/Relay) – Note: Only Solo Option currently available
- Your Overall Recorded Time – Hours, Minutes & Seconds
- How Your Time Was Recorded – Official Race Timing/Garmin/Polar etc
- The Number of Laps You Completed – Automated For Fixed Lap Events/Open for Limitless Events
- The Number of Mandatory Obstacles Failed – This refers to MANDATORY Obstacles ONLY
- Your Obstacle, Terrain & Weather Rating See “Course & Weather Rating”
We will calculate the rest from there!
No data, no points!
If you complete multiple races i.e. Spartan Sprint, Super & Beast, then we will need three form entries. We need one submission per race you enter.
If you enter a race, stating you wish to complete 3 laps i.e. (Nuclear Races – Oblivion – 3 x 12KMS laps), the distance you complete overall will be the value used in the distance category.
The Number of Obstacles Failed! – CURRENTLY This is down to your honesty. If you are suspected of cheating, or you suspect others of cheating, please see below for the correct process for disagreements. There will be more & more World OCR League Team Members at events to monitor, observe & assist.
Note: We are working on an electronic timing system that captures when an obstacle is not completed.
Sources of Timings that are allowed:
- Official Timings – If the race is timed, then this is the ONLY time accepted
- Off Your Own Device – If the race is not officially timed, then off your own device (watch/phone) with evidence. If you are using your own device, we will be using the OVERALL time, not the MOVING time. If you pause your device during an event every time you stop for example, you will get both a MOVING & an OVERALL TIME.
WOCRL Strava and Garmin Clubs
The WOCRL has a Strava and Garmin Club and we ask that all Members join these, so we can confirm timings & distances should there be any discrepancies.
Should an event not have official timings, the WOCRL will collate the timings from the WOCRL Strava Club and/or WOCRL Garmin Club.
Should you be accused or are making accusations towards another, they must first be sent to The World OCR League Admin Team at (email@example.com). You must provide full details & evidence, where possible.
Likely accusations include “claimed number of obstacles complete” and “timings off personal device”. Please ensure you have some evidence to support your accusation. If there is no evidence, there can be no ruling.
We will then approach the accused privately & present the evidence.
Once both sides have been heard, The World OCR League Admin Team Race Admin, will discuss internally & decide on further action or not.
This will be sent to both parties, independently.
The World OCR League Admin Team decision is final. The World OCR League Admin Team focus is to keeping the integrity of the sport, the fairness and sportsmanship it holds. Anyone seen not to be upholding this, will be removed from the WOCRL.
Should the accusation prove to be accurate:
First Offence – All Points from the Last Three Races will be removed.
Second Offence – Racer will be disqualified from the League for the remainder of the year. No refund will be available. Should the second offence occur in the last one month of the year, the disqualification will include the following year as well.
Yearly and Quarterly Cut Offs – The Racing Year for the League starts on Midnight 30th September & ends at Midnight of the 29th September the following year.
Our Quarters are:
- Q1 = 1st Jan > 31st March
- Q2 = 1st April > 31st Jun
- Q3 = 1st July > 30th September
- Q4 = 1st October > 31st December
Note: Other Championship Events and Race Series may use different Seasonal Categories which we will identify.
Midnight is the cut off.
On joining the WOCRL you are allowed to add any races that you have participated in since the beginning of the current Racing Year.
The Quarterly Cut offs for entering data is Midnight of the last day of that quarter.
Clubs & Communities
Communities are offered a 10% discount code. The Community will also be given a financial reward for every member that uses that uses the specific code given to each community.
We have chosen to do this to help support the growth of your communities.